2017-07-26

Introduction

I work in the IT department of my home town and am part of the so-called "2nd-Level-Team" in charge of around 3500 Windows computers.

The whole IT department has around 50 employees. The 1st-Level-Team with 5 people is responsible for manning the help desk hotline, inserting tickets for the entire department into the ticket system and fixing simple problems the users have. The 2nd-Level-Team consists of another 5 people who are responsible for everything related to software and operating system issues on the 3500 Windows computers. The servers and network are the responsibility of other teams.

While the members of the 2nd-Level-Team all share the same base responsibilities after two years on this job I've been tasked with quite a few additional responsibilities thanks to my previous job experiences. For example:
  • I'm in charge of the company-wide Group Policies for all Windows client systems.
  • I'm responsible for prepping, testing and documenting software for fully automated deployment through SCCM before handing the finished package over to the SCCM guy for the actual deployment.
  • I've been tasked to figure out how to actually make Microsoft Windows 10 useable in our environment.
  • I'm also in charge of getting a virtualized desktop infrastructure for up to 100 concurrent users up and running. (The client side of it at least. The server part is done by the servers department)
  • Last but not least I'm at this point in time the only person in my team with any programming/scripting experience so I get to do all the task automation using Powershell

I'd like to use this blog to document some stories from work, bugs I find, tips and tricks for problems I come across and facepalm worthy moments.

Be warned though, some of the things I might post can potentially make you lose all hope in humanity or at least have an increasing effect on your alcohol consumption. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment